Announcement

Died in a Blogging Accident has lived up to its name and died... in a blogging accident. That is to say it has concluded. You can still re-live the magic by clicking here to start at chapter 1. For genuine criticism of XKCD, please click the top link to the right (XKCD Isn't Funny).

Monday, December 5, 2011

Comic 986: What is this? I don't even...

Original xkcd 986:
Drinking Fountains
title: Drinking Fountains; hover-text: "I've always wondered whether you could drink slowly enough, and eliminate fast enough, that you just sort of peed continuously. But I'm afraid to try because I worry someone might call while I'm doing it and ask what I'm up to, and I won't be able to think of a lie."


My Monday morning routine tends to vary depending on my shift but when I finally got around to checking xkcd-sucks for an update and noticed there wasn't one yet I figured I would sacrifice a little bit of myself by at least posting my reaction to today's comic so people could comment... but then I saw it.


If the purpose of xkcd is to illicit a reaction from those who see it... this comic succeeds... the furrowing of my brows, the confusion and finally the "you can't be serious" laugh... I mean... this can only be an attempt to drive the masses to hysteria.


The comic itself is probably supposed to be a play on the "the water cycle" charts that over simplify the movement of water as being part of a closed system and the subtitle is probably supposed to re-contextualize the chart as a literal description of someone's trip to the bathroom and subvert our expectations. The art and execution isn't so bad... but if we deconstruct it and examine it in parts there are a lot of issues you could nit-pick on this one but really it's the hover-text that breaks my brain... first off, I've tried this, it's a completely normal thing for a human to do at some point in their childhood before they understand the basics of human biology but Randall seems to think that it is an abhorrent little sick fantasy that he has... but if he would be embarrassed to admit to trying it... why is he broadcasting the fact that he has wanted to on the internet?


Anyways... this comic has broken my brain so I'm going to go drink a coke and take a piss in retaliation.



2 comments:

  1. Dangit, I sent a guest review to Gamer about eight hours ago and you still beat me to it. Oh well, we'll see if he puts it up. Otherwise I'll have to repeat what I said in it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The draft of your guest review is completed and queued up in the blog, but I'm holding off on posting it until tonight. That way, Sinbad's post won't get buried right away.

    ReplyDelete